Monday, June 18

Manna Monday- The Virtual Bible: Three Reasons Why an iPad Shouldn't Replace Your Hardcover Bible

Recently, I caught myself looking over my left shoulder across the aisle at something shiny during a sermon. I am always very focused on listening intently to my pastor's teaching. But this time, I got distracted by the glossy glare. To my surprise, it wasn't one iPad, but two iPad's being used on the same row by two different people. Maybe that's why it made such an impression on me. The church members didn't bring a hard cover Bible. They simply had an iPad.

A terrible thought flooded my mind as I glanced at the iPads: "Would there ever come a day, when believers quit bringing their Bible to church because they have an iPad?" I pray that never happens but I also never thought many Baptist churches would cease using the Baptist Hymnal on Sunday mornings.

I have an iPad and I love it!!! This is not a post tearing down the use of technology. There are many things I love about technology. But I know an iPad can never replace my Bible for three reasons:

The iPad:
1) Makes you Lazy- When you flip through the pages and underline verses in your Bible, you work for your blessing!!!! You appreciate the treasure you found even more because it took you on a journey through different scriptures that change your heart. Writing down the verses on a piece of paper as you flip through your Bible helps truth to sink into your heart and mind. An iPad makes you lazy because you don't have to look for the treasure. It takes you right to it. You lose the ability to remember where books of the Bible are located because you don't have to remember, the iPad takes you to it.

"Work hard so you can present yourself to God and receive his approval. Be a good worker, one who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly explains the word of truth." 
                                                                                                                        2 Timothy 2:15 (NLT)


"Study to show yourself approved unto God, a workman that needs not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."                                                   2 Timothy 2:15 (King James Version)

2) Gives the Wrong Impression- to your child that the Bible is not something to be treasured. There is something that happens when your child visually sees you read your Bible and carry it in to church week after week, year after year. It teaches them God's Word matters to you because you take great care to not forget it. Carrying an iPad instead of your Bible teaches a child that technology is cooler than the outdated Bible.

3) Doesn't Tell Your Story- When my grandmother passed away, I received her precious Bible. It is the most treasured piece of an inheritance I received from her. Flipping through its pages (some tear stained) where she prayed through verses, prayed for family members meant something to me. It was held by her hands. It was taken with her to church and held close to her heart. Inside, there are verses underlined that meant a lot to her. It tells me her story of following God. An iPad can never tell your story. If you died today, would someone pick up your Bible and be able to see what your walk was like with the LORD? Would it be tear stained, underlined, and have little notes written in it? Or would it simply be empty as if it were never read...or even yet, would you only have an iPad?

Technology is wonderful!!! It makes a lot of things easier. But it never can replace your Bible.
There is something about seeing someone with a Bible in a Bible-less world that will and always will leave a lasting impression.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Thanks for talking back!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...