Tuesday, August 3

The older I get, the more I become a believer of what Proverbs 17:22 says, "A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones." Thank you God for putting this verse in the bible as a true reminder of the power of a cheerful heart! No medicine can do for me what a cheerful heart can do. There's something about that kind of spirit.

You and I know it when we see it in others, and we know it when we have it ourselves. And when we don't, even then we know it too! In fact, everyone around us knows it at that point! On the flip side of that coin, is the second part of the verse," a crushed spirit dries the bones." Being around people who don't have joy, but see the negative and are quick to throw out criticism is not like good medicine. It steals every inch of life away from the soul as you try to deal with that person. But sometimes, it's not other people who dry up your bones. Sometimes, it's you who dry your own bones up by agreeing to let sin come in and rule your hearts. The only thing left are dry, dull bones. And then, there's nothing left to give to God, to others, and to our families. Why? Because we are dry. Dry to the very bone.

Look what the bible says about a cheerful heart:
  • Proverbs 15:15
    "All the days of the oppressed are wretched, but the cheerful heart has a continual feast."
  • Proverbs 15:13
    "A happy heart makes the face cheerful, but heartache crushes the spirit."
  • 2 Corinthians 9:7
    "Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver."
What's going on in my heart doesn't go unnoticed; it can be seen by others. More importantly, what's going on in my heart can be seen by God as to whether I give reluctantly or under compulsion. I can't fool God to whether I am a cheerful giver. He knows the motive behind my giving. And last, my favorite is Proverbs 15:15, "the cheerful heart has a continual feast." This kind of heart does not go lacking, but feasts on the goodness of God and all His truth. Praise God for this word today as we consider the countenance of our hearts!
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Thanks for talking back!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...