Thursday, May 29

Artwork created by me. 2014

I have a love hate relationship with social media. 
I love it because it can be a great way to share content about Jesus and life. 
I hate it because it can make me feel like my life is pretty crummy in comparison to others. 
Like my life isn't great. 
Like I am behind because I haven't posted what everyone else is posting on Valentine's day or Mother's day, or memorial day on Facebook…...
Like I don't measure up…to who?


Social media makes me feel the pressure at times. to be great.  Do you feel this silent pressure too? You know the kind….to show how great your trip is going (when it's really not at times) to show a new art project (when you don't feel like you are a real artist) to post pics of the family  (meaning, that basically everyone is smiling for the camera so you can post to Facebook and Instagram and look like you never have any issues.

I admit, I like when I get "liked" on Facebook. Don't you? 

Doesn't getting "likes" make you feel like you are doing something great with your day that so many people will take the time to endorse your greatness and move their index finger to "LIKE" you? It can create a sense of self-worth that is fleeting…because the "likes" are fleeting. Because people's opinions are fleeting. 

I haven't blogged in a while because I have been weary of blogging. 
Weary of social media. 

Since I lost my father to cancer, I guess I have a different perspective about what really matters. Life is short. Being with people matters. And I don't have to find my greatness in being the "blog of the year" or getting "likes" on my Facebook page every single day. My greatness is only because Jesus is my savior. He is the Great One. But this is the truth-the social albatross around my neck is not going anywhere.  I have to learn to keep social media in perspective and not let it grow a bitter root inside my heart. It can provide a way to share good things and communicate about Jesus to others. But to let it be the marker of my life and to keep up with other blogs and create content that is "likable" that will make me feel like I am doing something "great" with my life is not the answer. To get 59 "likes" on Facebook for the day does not mean I am great either. It doesn't provide value to my life. It is simply people's opinions.



This pressure for greatness I feel (and so many others feel) reminds me of two people in the Bible who struggled with the demon of greatness…to be "liked" enough that they would have a guarantee to sit beside Jesus in heaven:

"And He said to them, "What do you want Me to do for you?" 37They said to Him, "Grant that we may sit, one on Your right and one on Your left, in Your glory." 38But Jesus said to them, "You do not know what you are asking. Are you able to drink the cup that I drink, or to be baptized with the baptism with which I am baptized?"…Mark 10:36-38 (ESV)

Aren't we just like James and John too….
Jesus like me. 
Jesus I want to be your favorite one…
Jesus do you like me?

Jesus likes us all right. 
He more than "likes" us. 
He is crazy in love for us.
And we don't have to keep sharing content for Him to "like" us…to think we are great.

1 Peter 2:9 says, 
"But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God's special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light."


So glad I preached this to myself today. Maybe you will benefit from it too.
What freedom there is when God's voice (through reading the Bible) is louder than your own!!!



Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Thanks for talking back!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...